Integrated Pest Management (IPM) for varroa mites – the quiz – We gathered 15 questions to test your knowledge on Integrated Pest Management strategies for varroa mites. But wait… how can IPM apply in beekeeping ?
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) in beekeeping
This strategy describes an integrative and ecological approach to pest management. IPM strategies include various preventive and treatment options, considering seasonal changes and ecological and environmental factors.
Suppose we apply the definition of Integrated Pest Management to varroa. In that case, we aim to combine biotechnical means of control and treatments, associated with active monitoring of the parasite load throughout the season. This combination allows us to maintain the level of infestation below the threshold at which damage or an economically unacceptable loss appears.
We are thus moving from a reactive system (“I will treat after the last honeyflow”) to a preventive system: “I prevent varroa from reaching a damaging threshold for my colonies”.
On the menu of this test, you will find questions such as…
- If beekeepers must treat against varroa anyway, why is monitoring necessary?
- Pick mechanical hive management actions that can lower varroa infestation during the season
- How can re-infestation affect honey bee colonies in autumn?
- Select one of the most important management actions for a successful IPM program to control varroa mites
So many questions that are important to take into consideration!
🚨 Contest alert ! A surprise basket to win for the #1 of the ranking !
You have until April 18, 2023 April 28, 2023 at midnight (GMT+1) to participate in the quiz and qualify for the contest. The number 1 in the ranking will win a surprise basket, delivered directly to his home. Remember to indicate a valid email address when you participate in the quiz, and to check your spam after this date, since we will have no other way to contact you.
I take the quiz
You may have difficulties accessing the quiz. Don’t worry, this is most likely due to a compatibility problem with your Internet browser (Firefox, Crome, Edge, Safari, …). If you can’t take the quiz, copy and paste the link directly into another browser. Here is the direct link: https://kahoot.it/challenge/003793801
If you want to know more about varroa mites
We have many resources that you can consult for free:
- Varroa Guide
- Article “Deformed Wing Virus (DWV-B): the deadly variant threatening honey bees globally”
- Article “Outlook on climate change: Higher seasonal temperatures are associated with increased varroa infestation”
- Article “Varroa infestation: why we must monitor hives BEFORE treatment”
- Article “Controlling varroa infestation remains a priority in spring !”
- Article “Véto-pharma is in search of the varroa treatments of the future”
- Quiz “Biology of the varroa mite”
Do you have stumbled upon this article and do not know what the famous “Varroa” is?
We have summarized what varroa is and its impact on bees on these 3 pages of our site:
And once you are ready… you can test your knowledge with our IPM quiz!